Tabs

4.24.2014

"We are the hands and feet not the enemy..."



"If therefore the Son shall make you free, you shall be free indeed." --John 8:36

We are Born Free

I tell people all the time that I am a caged animal. When I use this metaphor, I am usually discussing my marriage. I explain to people that my dear husband, in his infinite wisdom and for my own sake, established basic perimeters in my life: my cage, so to speak. It's rather large, very roomy and generously equipped with everything and every opportunity I need in this life. As long as I operate within the confines of my cage, we live in perfect harmony...well, most of the time it's harmonious. You see, like a loving parent does for their child, the boundaries are set up for my own good and for the health of our marriage. I am perfectly FREE to live my life as long as I don't cross certain lines. And trust me, if you knew me, you would understand why this is necessary!! :) 

But I admit, some people are taken off guard by my metaphoric cage. They are offended by my submission and conclude that I must be incapable of independent thought. Really? Are you reading this blog?! That, my friends, couldn't be further from the truth. I am perfectly free in my life...and thanks to the healthy boundaries established by a loving husband, I am perfectly safe and secure. But obviously, my discussing my marital freedom is very ‘micro’. When I consider freedom in a broad, big, ‘macro’ sense, I automatically think of America. I suppose my idea of freedom is rather simple. Primarily, because I, like most Americans, take it for granted on a daily basis. But freedom in this country and in our world is complex, costly and ever-changing. What one considers freedom, another sees as aggression. What some consider freedom, others see as lawlessness. What some view as fair and protective, others declare as unfair, overly possessive and oppressive.

However, there is a freedom, a true freedom that exists beyond what this world and her nations and constitutions can provide. There is a perfect freedom that overcomes all bondage and any master. There is a perfect freedom that is possible for and accessible to anyone willing to accept it and conform to the truth: Galatians 5:13 says, "For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love, serve one another." There it is. Plain as day. I am called, through glorious freedom, to serve others; to be the hands and feet of the body of Christ. I am called to love my neighbor as I love myself (Leviticus 19:18) and to bear another's burdens (Galatians 6:2). I am called to help set the earthly captives free, regardless of their life position or the reasons for their enslavement.

Merriam-Webster defines the word 'free' as: not held as a slave or a prisoner; not subject to the control or domination of another; not physically held by something. We are born to be FREE from fear. We are born to be FREE from bondage. We are born to be FREE from oppressive governments. We are born to be FREE from the grip of sin and the condemnation of this world. We were ALL born free and then this world, our fears, our failures, our sins enslave us.

Sometimes I look around at the condition and direction of the world and want to run away and hide myself and my precious family in some deep, dark "conservatives only allowed" cave or bunker. Sometimes I want to throw my hands in the air, wave the white flag of surrender and declare earthly defeat. And some days, I admit, I pray for Jesus to return and to return to us quickly. However, in my moments of clarity and peace, I know that all is not lost. I know that I am called, for a time such as this, to be the light of this world, a city on hill that cannot be hidden (Matthew 5:14). I know that I am called to love this world but not conform to it (Romans 12:2). I know that I am called to represent Jesus, His love, and His sacrifice to fallen, needy people all around the world, so that they too, can know and experience the perfect freedom found only in my Savior. But in my self-pity and because I am human, I get depressed, frustrated and angry. When Supreme Court rulings don't go my way or moronic legislators pass some outrageously ignorant law (i.e. Obamacare), I feel abandoned, rejected and ignored. Often times, when I make the mistake of watching the news, I feel very, very alone. 

And in those moments, the LORD provides... 

A few years ago I had the pleasure of getting reacquainted with some people from my childhood. Michael David Branch and his beautiful wife, Krista, are precious souls living in freedom. They embody so much of what I love about Jesus and America and exemplify so much of what I fear we are losing as a nation and as a people. They are brave patriots doing their part to politically energize Americans while simultaneously showering those they encounter with the love of Jesus. As we say in the South, "they are killing two birds with one stone". Oh, and did I mention that they are super cool, super hip, talented musicians?! Yeah, I know...be jealous, I really do have amazing friends!! They recently released a new single entitled Born Free. And if I ever to have my dream job of going around the United States and whipping conservative audiences into a frenzy--this would be my song. Their song (with their permission of course) would be my theme song; it would remind me that I am right, I am reason in madness, I am not alone, and that my power is the kindness I show to those around me. The lyrics are worth reading:

BORN FREE
"With no agenda
I'm a single voice in the wilderness.
Drowned out by the noise
created by giants in the land.
There's a reason I'm
standing in the midst of the madness.
It matters less if I'm heard
and more that I say what must be said.
It may not be now
but some day you'll understand,
That the gift of power
is the kindness in your hands."

CHORUS

"I'm not falling before you 
begging for mercy,
groveling at your throne.
But to speak the truth
to say how it should.
I know I'm not alone.
We are the hands and feet
not the enemy.
We are BORN FREE."

"It's so easy to get drawn 
in to the foolish games.
A paper kingdom where 
strength is only illusion.
Some words should be spoken
we're called to be unafraid.
To be the voice of reason in a
world full of confusion.
It may not be now
but one day you'll understand,
That the gift of power
is the kindness in your hands."

CHORUS

"I'm not falling before you 
begging for mercy,
groveling at your throne.
But to speak the truth
to say how it should.
I know I'm not alone.
We are the hands and feet
not the enemy.
We are BORN FREE."

“We are born free.” Do we really understand the enormity of that status? Can we, as selfish humans and narcissistic Americans, grasp the awesomeness of that gift? Most days, I don't think so.

Guys, it is time. Each of us has the ability and the God-given freedom to accomplish real change in our lives, in our families, in our communities, in our nation and in our world. Galatians 5:1 says, "It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery." We need to stop being fearful and start being bold. We need to quit feeling sorry for ourselves and recognize the amazing gifts we've been given. We need to stop bowing down to temporary, earthy idols and focus our eyes and attention on things eternal. We need to stake claim to our inheritance and step up to our calling. We need to break free from earthly cages that are enslaving our minds, bodies, and hearts. The only perimeters we are subject to are those that exist in accordance with the Word of God. It is time for our apathetic generation to get informed, engaged and involved. This world isn't going to resolve itself into rightness. This nation isn't going to reverse course willingly. Friends, we are the lights, we are a city on a hill. We are the hands and feet, we're not enemies, we are BORN FREE. 


For more information on Krista and Michael David Branch and their music, please visit their website kristabranch.com or LIKE her on Facebook! Expect big things, very big things, from this amazing couple.

1 comment:

  1. Love it!! People tell I must be modern, though I think I'm very traditional, because I work and am on city council. However, if my husband ever said something was too much, I wouldn't consider doing it. Likewise, I try to make sure I do what's best for our family. My husband IS the head of our household. That doesn't happen without unconditional love and trust. Each spouse has to know the other is thinking of them and supporting them.

    ReplyDelete