Tabs

9.18.2014

9/11: Never Forget


"On Sept. 11, 2001, thousands of first responders heroically rushed to the scene and saved tens of thousands of lives. More than 400 of those first responders did not make it out alive. In rushing into those burning buildings, not one of them asked, 'What God do you pray to?' What beliefs do you hold?'"
--Michael Bloomberg


Each year, on this day, I reflect upon the tragedy of 9/11. Normally, not always, but many times, I find myself thinking of the passenger victims on the planes, the employees in the Twin Towers, the military personnel in the Pentagon, the heroes in a far off Pennsylvania field and of the military service men and women who answered our grieving and devastated nation's call in the following weeks, months and years. I think I often times forget about the unimaginable service rendered to our citizens that day. I think I sometimes, unintentionally, overlook the enormity of the sacrifices made that morning by the emergency personnel and the first responders. 

This morning as I prayed for our nation and thought back on that day, I thought about the emergency responders who were called to the chaos that morning. Today, I thought about what had to be going through the minds of those firefighters and emergency workers as they ran TOWARD the infernos. Infernos that melted and destroyed something indestructible. So many of the images from that day that have shown up on my news feed have been of the burning towers, our hoisted flag and survivors covered in debris and ash. There are few pictorial images that captured the heroes of that morning as they raced into burning buildings, raced up collapsing stairways; people who chose to freely and willingly walk into the arms of danger and death in the hopes that they would save a life. I am so humbled by the bravery of that day. I am so amazed by the selflessness of so many who put others, perfect strangers, before themselves. I hope that as the years pass and as the events grow more distant in our memory that we will continue to honor those who perished on that terrible day. Their sacrifices should never be forgotten nor the evil who perpetrated it. The heroism of those individuals who sacrificed their lives should never be overshadowed by the cowardly acts of terror perpetrated by spineless madmen. 

Today, I grieve with the families forever changed. Today, I honor the memory of those lost. Today, I thank the brave men and women in uniform, all uniforms, who are committed to protecting our nation both domestically and abroad. Today, I pray for the individuals who seek to harm Americans both here at home and afar. May God have mercy on your soul--because our people will not.  ‪#‎neverforget‬ ‪#‎heroes‬

No comments:

Post a Comment