Tabs

10.28.2014

OPERATION FIERCE TRUTH: See, I REALLY, TRULY, COMPLETELY believe all of the things I say.


"The Left despises Texas, with its stellar record of job growth; Texas, with its strong support for traditional marriage and the sanctity of life; Texas, the root of the conservative tree. Should the Left succeed in its attempt to turn Texas purple, America could turn permanently blue." --Ben Shapiro

I just love my small, Texas hometown. Seriously, it's an awesome place. People are friendly. Well, most of them are friendly...at least to your face. Children are safe to ride their bicycles and Trick or Treat. The pace of life is slow and the spirit of God, recognized. We have Stew Fests and pageant winning royals known as Dairy Queens. Friday evenings during the Fall, our little town shuts down in good, ole Texas fashion because everyone knows that Friday nights are all about high school football, marching bands and bright lights. Our downtown square is historic and beautiful and home to an amazing Veteran's Memorial that honors our local heroes and inspires a younger generation to step up and take the torch. Truly, it is a privilege to live in this place, it is an honor to do life with these people. Well, most of these people anyway!!

But the thing that is most endearing about my little country cove, is the unbelievable generosity of our people. We are a fund-raising, 5k running, crawfish boiling, cupcake selling, t-shirt wearing, dinner-out-at-Chili's-donating group of people who really gets what is means to "take care of our own".

I am proud to be part of a community that is generous and kind and giving. I am proud of the charitable spirit that so defines not only my small hometown, but so many small communities across the great state of Texas.

And ladies and gentlemen, the above mentioned goodness is why I am such an outspoken, Facebook ranting, argue-with-a-perfect-stranger kind of Conservative. See, I REALLY, TRULY, COMPLETELY believe all of the things I say.

I believe that Texans are good family folks. I believe we care about our children and want them to grow up in safe neighborhoods and be able to enjoy the fun, fairy-tale, dress-up-like-a-super-hero moments of young life that so completely define childhood.

But in order to be a princess or Superman at Halloween, one must first be given the opportunity to be born.

I believe that Texans, as a whole, are God-fearing. There are, unfortunately, always a few bad apples in the bunch. But more often than not, I believe we pray, we love, we believe and we are thankful. I believe we understand the sacrifice of our crucified Savior and are deeply committed to being a light in this world of darkness, a beacon of hope to the lost.

But in order to fully appreciate the blessings associated with our salvation in Christ and our good fortune of being born free (AKA American) to exercise and practice our faith, we must recognize God and His sovereignty. You cannot love and revere what you refuse to acknowledge. It just doesn't work that way.

I believe that Texans are committed to preserving the positive and worthy aspects of tradition while at the same time moving forward and embracing progress and change. Tradition isn't by nature bad. And progress isn't by definition good. A balance is required. We, as a state, have spoken loudly and clearly as to how we see and define certain institutions and issues. We haven't been ambiguous or lukewarm.

But in order to promote our firmly held beliefs and in order to fight for what we know is right, we must first be willing to identify the enemy. We must first be willing to hold people accountable for their misguidance and their ill-motivated agendas. We must be bold enough to call out what is wrong and unacceptable and contradictory to our faith. If we aren't willing to acknowledge a battle, we will never win the war.

I believe that Texans are a giving bunch of people!! Heck, I have seen this with my own two eyes!! We give and give and give and give. We help the needy, take care of the sick, educate the ones seeking to better themselves and harbor the innocent. Yes, we fail. Because we are human. There is no such thing as perfection...remember, once upon a time, perfection took the form of a man and we, humanity, beat him and hung him on a wooden cross. But in spite of our imperfection, I believe that we are a charitable state willing to help our neighbors and complete strangers.

But giving unlimited amounts of money to people who are unwilling to help themselves isn't helpful or kind. It is manipulative and self-serving. We must teach people to fend for themselves. We must equip people to think for themselves and provide for their families. We need to teach problem solving instead of dependency. We need to focus on helping people but not enabling their slothfulness. We need to be committed to breaking cycles of dependency, abuse, poverty and addiction instead of perpetuating them. Taxation isn't a way of helping people, taxation is a method of control.

I love Hopkins County. I love Texas. I love America. I love, love, love this amazing democratic experiment that created a nation like no other. I love that a week from today, people of all ages, races, genders, faiths, and socio-economical backgrounds will flock to the polls and cast their votes in ever-present freedom. I love that we can disagree and still be united. I love that we can fight across political lines but still speak to each other in restaurants. You know who you are!!

I love and stand amazed that I, a completely ordinary, small town, conservative, country girl can rant and rave and preach and screech about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness without fear of retribution. I love that you can choose to openly agree or disagree. I love the beauty of our system and the tremendous power it affords us. Former Secretary of State, Henry Kissinger once said, "For other nations, utopia is a blessed past never to be recovered; for Americans it is just beyond the horizon." 

I am blessed and so are you. How will you choose to use it?








No comments:

Post a Comment